This Directorate is functioning with the objective of planning, co-ordination and execution of all extension programmes of the entire University in close consultation and co – operation with the line department and other organizations associated with the development of fisheries. The Directorate of Extension Education brings out extension publications and periodicals, organizes radio programmes, TV programmes, exhibitions, awareness programmes, etc., to disseminate fisheries technologies among the various stakeholders for adoption. The Directorate organizes various types of training programmes including entrepreneurial and skill development programmes for popularizing the new/improved fisheries technologies and for developing skilled man power for undertaking various tasks in the industrial units associated with fish production and processing. The Directorate brings out a farm magazine viz., Meenvalasudar, a quarterly magazine, published in Tamil for the benefit of aqua farmers, fisherfolk and fisheries entrepreneurs. TNFU Newsletter is another monthly published by the Directorate on the various activities of the University.
This Directorate also brings out extension publications like booklets on fisheries technologies for sale.
- To plan and co-ordinate the extension activities of the TNFU
- To help the line department and other organizations associated with the development of fisheries to carryout field extension services by producing extension education materials in fisheries for dissemination.
- To guide the research activities in fisheries by providing information on field problems for solution.
- To develop repositories on fisheries technologies, e-contents and course modules for dissemination of knowledge and innovations in fisheries.
- To formulate the policies and programme for the extension education activities of the TNFU.
- To liaise with fisheries organizations for effective implementation of Government schemes / programmes for developing fisheries.
- To undertake continuous research in the field for improving the extension delivery system.
||Title of the Project
||PI & Co- PI
of the Project
||Skill Development Trainings in Fisheries
||Dr. M. Nagoor Meeran
Dr. C. Anand
Th. T. Anand
Th. P. Ganesan
Th. S. Santhoshkumar
- The Directorate offering two certificate courses viz., “Freshwater fish culture technologies (3 months) and Shrimp farming technologies (6 months)” under Distance Education Mode.
- Conduct of farm school programs in collaboration with the AIR stations.
- Conduct of periodical technical meeting in Tamil Nadu involving the line department officials, progressive farmers / fisher folk, Lead Bank officials, KVK faculty and TNJFU faculty to plan the extension and research activities to solve field problems in the region.
- Brining out extension publications like folders, booklets and fisheries technologies for the benefit of stakeholders and extension functionaries.
- Co-ordinate radio talks and TV talks of the TNJFU faculty.
- Liaise with ATMA for the preparation of fisheries training modules.
- Publication of success stories in fisheries.
- Production of educational video program on fisheries technologies, feedback for training programs and farm success stories.
- Liaise with the dept. of agricultural, KVK, AIR, DDK and NGOs in field extension works.
- Organizing exhibitions for dissemination of fisheries technologies.
||Name of the Courses
No. of Trainees got placement
||Basic Shrimp culture techniques to shrimp Farm Assistants
||Application of electronic equipment in fishing
||Basic techniques in ornamental fish culture and breeding
||Basic pre and post processing techniques for fish processing workers
- Co-ordinater three Farm School Programs in collaboration with the AIR stations.
- Conducted periodical Technical Meetings in Tamil Nadu involving the line department officials, progressive farmers / fisher folk, Lead Bank officials, KVK faculty and TNJFU faculty to plan the extension and research activities to solve field problems in the region.
- Brought out extension publications like folders, booklets and fisheries technologies for the benefit of stakeholders and extension functionaries.
- Co-ordinater radio talks and TV talks of the TNJFU faculty.
- Produced success stories in fisheries. So far during the past three years more than 10 success stories have been documented.
- Produced educational video program on fisheries technologies, feedback for training programs.
- Participated exhibitions like agri-intex, Krishi Unnati Mela Exhibition etc.,
- Guiding women SHG members in the adopted village, Perungadambanur to undertake fish culture in village pond in association with SOS, an NGO.
- So far registered membership for Meenvalasudar journal; Life Members – 836; Annual Members – 99.
- Planned to start an online courses program under this Directorate during 2018.
- To develop a strong extension system in fisheries that will augment the fisheries production and productivity of the state.
- To develop the video editing unit for documenting university activities and success stories of farmers.
|Dr. R. Jeyaraman
||Director of Extension Education
- Fish culture in farm ponds
- Freshwater fish culture technologies
- Ornamental fish culture technologies
- Culture of vannamei in low saline waters
- Sprirulina culture technologies
- BMP in shrimp farming
- Backyard ornamental fish culture
- Fish culture in farm ponds
- New verity of Pangassius cat fish culture in freshwater
- Feed based carp culture
- Carp seed culture in nursery pond
- Loach culture and breeding techniques
- Carp culture
- Freshwater fish culture
- Offering subsides from fisheries development agency
- Hygienic handling of fishes
- Fishermen safety at sea
Articles published in Meenvalasudar journal
- M. Nagoor Meeran and B. Kannan; Tilapia culture (2017) pp 30-33; vol.5 No.1.
- B. Kannan, M. Nagoor Meeran, G. Rajesh and A. Rathipriya; Culture of vannamei seeds in nursery phase – success story (2017) pp 3-4; vol.5 No.3
- A. Rathipriya, K. Karal Marx, B. Kannan and K. Masilan; Use of copper in freshwater fish culture, aim, benefit and precautionary measures (2017) pp 37-38; vol. 5 No.4
Six numbers of booklets in Tamil are available in this Directorate for sale. The brief details are given below for purchase of Tamil Booklets.
||Title of the Booklet
||Fixed prize (Rs.)
||Fish culture in farm ponds
||Freshwater fish culture technologies
||Ornamental fish culture technologies
||Culture of vannamei in low saline waters
||Sprirulina culture technologies
||BMP in shrimp farming
Total amount for purchasing above said six booklets
- For receiving six booklets you have to pay extra amount of Rs. 50/-
- Clearly indicate the postal address
- Demand Draft address is given below.
The Director of Extension Education
Tamil Nadu Dr.J.Jayalalithaa Fisheries University,
Nagapattinam – 611 001.